Feel free to geek out here

Unix, Linux, BSD... you name it. Unleash your inner geek.
E.Estrada
Site Admin
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Feel free to geek out here

Post by E.Estrada » Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 am

I am currently running Ubuntu 8.04 wubi, Centos 5.1 and Knoppix 5.1.1.

And I am thinking about FreeBSD.
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Thu May 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Sorry I run XP, an with an Estimated 400 Million users, we cant be wrongggggggggggggggggggggggggggad,#)#@#?<><Q%*(*~!15$+~
Buzzzzzzzz
Oops sorry, I had to reboot :lol:
Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

kiss*of*death

Re: Feel free to geek out here

Post by kiss*of*death » Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 pm

and for all us (me) computer idiots, wtf are you talking about and how would it benefit my game playing experience?!? :?: BTW, been away for a while but am trying to find time to play soon...
*kiss

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Fri May 23, 2008 1:45 am

@ jig

that has to be the most disturbing avatar I have ever seen :lol:

@kiss

I hear you, I have been slacking on the gameplay terribly, maybe once or twice in the past 4 to 6 weeks :oops:
The linux and BSD stuff is a different option for an operating system. The upside is you pretty much NEVER have to worry about trojans, worms or viruses. The down side? Can't play any (well, for all intents and purposes) decent video games. It is a great option if you have two computers though, one windows machine for gaming and one *nix machine for regular computing (internet, word processing, etc)

Hope to see you both in game soon! :twisted:
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

Shadow_TimBitz

Post by Shadow_TimBitz » Fri May 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Or you can install a Windoze XP emulator on your Linux system so that you can enjoy all of your favorite Windoze based games on a much finer operating system that is totally free. Anything that keeps money out of Bill Gate's pocket book is good by me ;) FYI - Linux operating systems are whats called "open source", which in laymans terms means that you can modify the operating system to suit your needs, and you're even more than welcome to submit your revised copy to the Linux community and if they like your modifications they could be offered in their next release of the operating system.

I just installed a "home-made" version of Windoze XP on my computer yesterday and so far I love it. It has some features from Vista and Mac OS added into it, and the usual Windoze components were replaced with much more useful things like pre-installed up-to-date versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, Safari, Windows Live Messenger, and a whole slug of other things. Here's a screen of what it looks like, sorry for the size, I'm running a 22" and 17" monitors in extended desktop lol. If you care to look for it online it goes by the name Windows Black Edition Basic.
Attachments
desktop.JPG
desktop.JPG (223.32 KiB) Viewed 2279 times

kiss*of*death

Post by kiss*of*death » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 pm

For those of you that have had a chance to talk to me on a personal level, you may know that I am admittedly computer stupid. I am in the process of building a new computer (of course not myslef, but with the help of a friend) and since my credit card is at his disposal, I want to know if I am buying the right stuff or am getting ripped off paying too much for sh*t I don't need... I got a video card- 512 MB by Micro-Star International. Anyone know anything about this, or do I need to include more info about it? I received it today and never knew the "cards" were that big... It came in a Huge box. I litereally thought they were the size of a memory card for a camera... goes to show how lame I am w/ technology... anyway.. let me know what else I should get or need to up my game :)
*Kiss

fodder

Post by fodder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:39 am

im honestly no computer geek, but their are a few things i have learned over the years.

1 if you are gona upgrade and spend the money, 1 ya want to get something that is gona last, and 2 its pointless to try and get anything that is the newest item out their. i think you waiting your money and the price usually always drops in half in a year, and anything a year old is still gona work great for our needs.

as for video cards, i have always stuck with navida geforce the manufacture is not necessarily a big deal to me but other would strongly disagree. one that sticks out in my head is BFG.

as for the series if your spending the money try to get an 8800 series, it is what will get you into the next level of games for the future. their are of corse several version of the 8800 series and i dont know enough about them to go over it but i do know the costs range from 100$ to 350$, i got mine for a deal with 512 ram in it.
their is also a type called pci express, it is suposed to have something to do with how fast it prosses it back and forth to the motherboard, i think their is somethign even newer out their but cant recall the name of it

also seriously don't get anything that is not at least a duel core, preferably a quad core. and try to get each core at 2gig/meg (i don't honestly know if its gig or meg, but mine are 2.7 each)

then of course you have your memory and you will want minimum 2k preferably 4k

from their you deal with things that i only notice when its pointed out, like usb ports in the front of you computer,
or even things like the front side buss speed (no clue dont ask)
but everything elts pass that to me is normally standard options that arnt going to matter, like the size of your hard drive, last i heard mine was 120gig and i dont think ive ever filled anything past 20gig their is also of corse a speed for your hard drive, last i knew of was something like 72rpm

this of course is all lamens terms for us non geeks, and the comp pros will probably point their fingers and laugh, but this is what i had built for me and it cost me under 1k and i am sure it will last me long enough to be happy with the cost.

hopefully someone call spell this out in clearer detail with actual specifics and maybe even information to point out the why's and why nots ect.

hope this was a little helpfull

Shadow_TimBitz

Post by Shadow_TimBitz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:07 am

I completely agree with you Fodder. I have been building pc's for almost 20 years now and I have come to learn many things. Hopefully I can put those things to good use in the new store I am trying to open. Here's a few pointers I can offer though.

1> GRAPHICS - Fodder couldn't have said it any better. nVidia is the way to go, they have a much better track record than ATi does, and they are built for gamers, where as ATi is mostly geared for applications like video and rendering. Also, if you don't mind spending the extra money, BFG or XFX are the way to go, they are the best of the best. Probably the best "bang for your buck" options would be models produced by Asus, Palit, and eVGA if your pocket book doesn't have room for the best of the best. PCI-e that Fodder mentioned is pretty much the standard today with 512mb onboard normally. Although I have seen some video cards pushing over the 1gb mark. There is a new type of video card in development right now but it's not widely discussed so I really can't say much about it, other than the official news release that I read about it when it was first spoken of, sounds like it has what everybody wants. Insane amount of memory, and really fuckin fast lol.

2> CPU - I think Fodder hit the nail on the head with processors as well. Not sure what the American market is like but I know up here in Canada the top AMD dual core will run you $120 and the top AMD quad core will run you $250. Intel comes in a little higher at $250 and $390 respectively. Quad core technology isn't really feasible at the moment because there's next to no software out there yet that can utilize the processing power, we're actually just starting to see programs that are capable of utilizing dual core power. But, it's the wave of the future, and the future seems pretty damn cheap, so why not get it and be prepared, right? It all comes down to what you need though. A quad core is perfect for people like Fodder and myself because we use the UnRealEd, which has a tremendous amount of rendering in it, and it will actually use the quad cpu to an extent. If all you need for gaming and everyday computing is a dual core, then go with that and put the savings from holding off on the quad core towards something that you do need, like a better graphics card or more memory.

Due to my own personal experience, and the price factor, I personally suggest going with the AMD processor. I've had allot of good luck with them, they're geared more towards gaming, whereas Intel is more geared towards applications.

3> MOTHERBOARD - If you're in the market for a new motherboard then I would suggest almost any motherboard made by Asus. They're pretty much on the top of the heap right now, and have been for a few years. With boards as cheap as $70 here in Canada it just doesn't make any sense at all to buy a substandard board from a company like ECS for the same price. Doesn't matter which model you choose, it's pretty much going to have more options than you're going to need anyhow.

4> MEMORY - Probably one of the most important parts of your computer is the memory. I completely agree with Fodder, for the rock bottom prices on memory right now, get as much as you can, but no more than 4gb because Windows won't recognize more than 4gb anyhow. I'm going to tell you right now, do yourself an extremely huge favour and look into getting yourself some OCZ memory sticks. These things give you all the speed of the highest end Corsair modules, at a fraction of the price, combined with an UNCONDITIONAL lifetime warranty. Sweet Jesus how can it get any better than that? They sell these memory sticks that will rival the fastest sticks on the market to begin with, and then they say that you can go above and beyond that by overclocking them (like you really need to), and guarantee that you won't blow them up or they'll give you full replacement warranty. Not for just one year though like most comapanies warranty their products. OCZ warranties for LIFE. To give you an example, I bought a 2gb kit, which comes with two 1gb sticks of ram. I only spent like $30 on the kit, which is ridiculously cheap to begin with. After installing the modules in my computer and upgrading to a SATA2 hard drive my ping ingame dropped by at least 30%. I also noticed that hosting games off my pc became alot more enjoyable for other people too. Not near as much lag as there was previously.

5> OPTICAL DRIVE - Optical drives are pretty much a disposable commodity today, there's not really one that stands out above the crowd but LG, Lite-on, Plextor, and Asus are generally good brands to go with. Again, get what you need, but make sure it's a SATA2 series. If you don't need the Blueray rewriter then save yourself about 90% of the cost and settle for the dual layer dvd burner. One word of advice, if you're a gamer, is to spend the extra $15 and get yourself a dvd-rom as well. Allot of games are picky and won't run from a burner so it's always nice to have a dvd-rom in there to keep it happy. Dvd-roms are cheap, so you don't have to be.

6> HARD DRIVE - Hard drives almost seem like they're a dime a dozen today as well. There's really not much to tell in this area except don't buy anything that says "Maxtor" on it. Buy anything else and you're doing good. Just make sure it's SATA2 and it's 7200rpm or faster, preferably with 32mb cache on it.

7> CASES & COOLING - Cooling is a major factor in why components stop working, or why you get all those dust bunnies inside your case. Lots of people figure that only hard core gamers like those side windows so they can put all their flashy lights inside the case. Well guess what? That side window is also your window to see whats going on in there before something potentially bad has a chance to happen. You can see dust build up and fix it before it becomes a problem, among other things going on in there. Fans are cheap, make sure that you use all available slots on your case and make sure that the fans are installed properly so that it draws air in through the front and side panels and exhausts through the top and rear, if you have all those spots at your disposal. Most cases today do have those spots available though. There isn't really a brand that stands out more than others, but for a decent case be prepared to shell out some coin. This is where not spending the $400 on an Intel quad core will come in handy lol. Make sure you do some research and get a case that is going to offer you a little more than what you need it for because this is something that you're not likely to upgrade the next time that you upgrade the rest of your system. Try not to buy a case that comes with a power supply, which we will talk about in the next section. My own personal picks for a case are CoolerMaster, Antec, Thermaltake, and Nikao. Just for future reference, Nikao makes a super lightweight case with some nice options for dirt cheap. I paid $20 for the new one I just got recently.

7> POWER SUPPLIES - Generally the rule of thumb is that the power supplies that come pre-installed in a case are a piece of shit. Spend a little bit of extra money and get yourself a power supply made by either Ultra, OCZ, or CoolerMaster. If you can afford the few extra bucks then get yourself one that has "modular cables". This means that every device in your computer has its own cable which plugs directly into the power supply. It's neater, cleaner, and promotes more airflow through the case.

8> KEYBOARDS - I have kind of a biased opinion, basically anything that says Logitech on it is good in my books, but again get something that will suit your needs. Don't be scared to take one out of the box when you're in the store, you really can't tell by those stupid pictures they put on the box.

9> MOUSE - Here again I've had a good run with Logitech, and they make some really good mice. A newcomer to the scene is the OCZ mouse though. I got one recently and I can tell you that I will never go back to a Logitech ever again. Try one out, you won't be disappointed.

10> MONITOR - Well the standard today is the LCD screen. I don't think anybody has bought a CRT screen in a while. Although, if you spend too much on your computer and don't have a big enough budget left over for a monitor you can probably get yourself a new 19" CRT monitor really damn cheap lol. For the price I would suggest going with a 22" widescreen, it's not too big, but it's big enough though. I like the Acer models, it's the one good thing that Acer knows how to manufacture, and at a very reasonable price compared to their competitors. If you don't mind second hand then Dell makes a nice refurb. You can get into a Dell refurbed 22" widescreen around Canada for about $140.

You started a damn good topic there Fodder. I thought I would elaborate on it, seems how I'm in the trade. Hope it helps some people make their next purchases a little easier. For most of you that likely live in the United States, you're best bet is probably ordering online from newegg.com. It seems to me that they have some of the best prices down there.

Zo6_Bitch

Post by Zo6_Bitch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:50 pm

MSI is a decent video card manufacturer. What model card is it?

I used to be on the Nvidia bandwagon also, however, recently my 8800gtx died so i bought a new Radeon 4850 for 190 dollars. For comparison, the 8800gtx was 550 dollars new, the Radeon 4850 was 190 dollars. Granted they were released a couple years apart.

The new Radeon card is slightly faster than the Nvidia with noticeably better image quality. And it uses much less power and is smaller.

Depneding on what model card you have ( nvidia or ATI ) your choice of motherboards is important.

Most all new motherboards allow you to connect two graphics card and run them in parallel. They have fancy names for this ( SLI and Crossfire, Nvidia and Ati). If thats something you might consider down the road.
Its cheaper to add a moderately dated SECOND card and run two than to buy a top of the line just released video card.

If your getting a new processor(cpu) i would highly recommend getting a quad core. Intel is the best choice.

Granted there are not many applications that are threaded for 4 cores however, the benefit of 4 cores truely shows itself if you do ANY kind of multitasking like gaming and tabbing out doing other things. Or watching movies and doing other things. Any time you do more than one thing the quad core will be useful.

I can literally play 2 games at one time with my quadcore and 4 gigs of ram.

Most people have steadfast preferences when it comes to CPU's and Graphics cards like guys who only drive a Ford or a Chevy.

Currently there is no clear leader in the graphics card world. Both ATI and Nvidia have attractive offerings in all price ranges.

Intel is clearly ahead of the curve in processor design. Im not going to get into that because its uber technical. Intel is the best CPU you can get right now if your getting a new CPU.

One last thing. Your motherboard will determine many things, like what kind of processor you can use. Not just whether its an Intel or AMD but which models as well.
It will determine how much memory you can use, what type of memory you can use. When building a new pc this is the starting point. Be very careful if your adding "new" components to an older motherboard.

Shadow_TimBitz

Post by Shadow_TimBitz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:38 pm

I would pretty much agree with most of what you said. It would be nice if AMD would reach the same learning curve as Intel and step up their game a little. Intel is leaps and bounds ahead of them. For the price, and the ease of overclockability, i'll still stick with AMD. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard lol but anything in my previous post will get a pretty nice pc for a very reasonable cost, and i'm all about saving money. I don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones's if you know what I mean. Especially with how quickly technology changes today.

Not sure what the newest ATi cards are like, haven't really heard anything spectacular about them, nor anything bad yet. If you want to save yourself some money and still get a good graphics system you should consider getting a board that is SLi compatible, and get yourself 2 of the 7x or 8x series GT cards from nVidia, as long as they are previous to the 8600. For some reason they perform less than their predecessors.

Having a quad core is pretty useful if you know how to set the affinity for applications. I do that all the time. I have an AMD dual core black edition AM2 processor and it's unbelievable the amount of crap that I can do at one time. I remember the days of when I first got this system, hosting an 8-man Ventrilo, 2 RvS servers, a ShoutCast radio station, playing RvS in one of the servers that was being hosted on my pc, and burning a dvd at the same time. It was great. Now all I do is play in the editor lol, it doesn't do much else really.