...:: RvS shut down date ::...

General discussion about Ravenshield.
-=SMC=-Tony
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Re: ...:: RvS shut down date ::...

Post by -=SMC=-Tony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:13 am

Eric,

I am not using the dll patch ATM and it works great.

Chris,

Good point on the shared hosting issue and CPU/IO anomalies, although I believe that it is not the hardware performance that is causing this issue. If my suggestion counts, I would consider to investigate the following scenario:

There are usually complex firewall settings on every IPs they provide in order to limit bots and minimize other malevolent network activities. So they limit hit rates, use QoS on the inbound traffic and sometimes the outgoing traffic as well. The latter can be a problem. Unfortunately these settings are generalized to average usage characteristics, and not prepared for irregular activities. For example, if an RVS server is trying to pester an external URL but it doesn't respond, it may reach the limit of the hoster's FW which disables that IP/port for a period. (Check out our firewall settings that I posted above. You can see there is a 10 hit/min on every inbound ports, which serves the same purpose. When the connection attempts reach that, I drop every packet for 2 minutes from that source.) Now, when the above scenario continues and reaches RVS, which is infamous about being very poorly programmed and have performance, resource management, thread separation, etc. issues. I wouldn't be surprised if it does not even use a separate thread for the TCP socket to reach UBI's server list server, and when the program flow enters a "waiting for connection" loop, due to the hit rate limit and lack of thread separation it does not switch to other contexts. Therefore, the program flow just permanently cycles in the TCP socket's loop and never leaves it until the socket finally times out. In this case, every other activities will freeze.

So I can assure you that there is no extreme performance needed for reaching a remote host, it is just due to a poor program implementation technique. On the other hand, what might have happened after you patched it, that now the program flow never enters the badly written subroutine.

I have uploaded your patcher to rvsgaming.org though.

BTW, did you ever manage to compile anything with the RVS C++ SDK library. I've got that package but it has missing files. I was trying to fix it by using files form other UE2 projects but I gave up at some point. I might give it another try some other time, but it is not priority right now. If I could manage to compile that, I could rewrite the R6GameServices.dll without all the junk. Of course, only if there is no other way to fix it.

Jig,
But I dont know who the Admin of the Coop Swe 1.6 server is? Does anyone?
AFAIK, it is FollowTheLead, at least he could restart servers when I once played on that server. I can send him a message to hop in this forum.
But Tony I was told you run your SMC servers privately, as in not on a commercial game hosting site.. is that true?
Yes, we are using a private server and we have no performance issues.

My apologies if I didn't respond to everyone. If I missed out any salient points, please give me a heads up.

Everyone,

I have updated the website with some info. I am behind the schedule with the portal, but this is due to the fact that I want to make it bullet proof. Twilight is working on the next release of OpenRVS and hopefully I can also finish my side of the work, so we will have a nice self-registering server list as before, but more reliable and will have lot more features. You'll just start your server and it will appear in the server list. You will also see them on rvsgaming.org with info such as who is online on which server, etc. Clans can also insert the up-to-date server list to their own website. And of course later we can do more fancy things, such as game statistics and whatever you guys want...

Cheers
Tony

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Tony,

What scares me is I understood everything you said, lol.

I'm guessing you did not have to patch your dll with Chris' patch because your server.ini file has InternetServer=False.

A lot of the features you speak of are already available through the N4Admin, even the ability to administrate ones server.

Peace.

Gary
aka SS_Psycho or SS_Reaper.
Comfortably retired and wanting for nothing.
http://www.ShadowSquadHQ.com

twilight

Post by twilight » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Psycho wrote:I'm guessing you did not have to patch your dll with Chris' patch because your server.ini file has InternetServer=False.
SMC runs their servers with InternetServer=true, so that's not the issue.

-=SMC=-Tony

Post by -=SMC=-Tony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:33 pm

Gary,
A lot of the features you speak of are already available through the N4Admin, even the ability to administrate ones server.
N4Admin has sever security issues as I pointed out many years ago. Unfortunately I told about its flaws to a person who once I trusted, the result was that months later he took down one RVS clan from the radar by hiring somebody and using the information I gave him. We all knew this clan in the community... I have offered their admin to fix their server (for free) and make it more secure but he's got tired into the fight with this individual I mentioned. We also used N4Admin on our servers and he did not hesitate to mess with our servers either, only that, instead of running, I gave him a lesson... So if you have enemies out there, I wouldn't advice you using N4Admin.

On the other hand I started writing a server side mod (called GSAF) to replace N4Admin but I always bumped into issues and since I could do server management from the terminal, plus the old rvsgaming went down with some clans, there was no more demand for my mod. Let's hope that now we have the momentum to put this community back together, there will be demand for the new admin framework and if you guys are interested I'll put it on my task list after the actual work is done.

As Twilight has answered the question above, I can just add to it: we do not use hit rate limiting on our outgoing traffic, so the above scenario does not apply. But if you guys want to put an end to the cause of this issue, I can set up hit rate limiting to the outgoing traffic of one of our test servers to see whether the anomaly occurs.

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:08 am

Tony,

I'd be all for an N4 replacement. I can guess at what the security hole is but won't mention it here. It's also just getting long in the tooth. It uses deprecated functions in PHP and to even get it to work with newer versions of PHP, the code has to be updated for it to run properly. I don't have a ton of free time since I am working on my dissertation, but as time allows, and if you need it, I can help out with coding.

As far as testing out to see if your guess is correct about the hit rate limiting, I wouldn't mind knowing if it isn't a ton of trouble. Regardless, if that is the issue, it's something I can't change since I am on a hosted server. I was running a server from home for a short while(1Gbps up/down connection speed), but the ping was killing overseas players so I went back to hosted.
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:26 am

-=SMC=-Tony wrote:Gary,
So if you have enemies out there, I wouldn't advice you using N4Admin.

if you guys are interested I'll put it on my task list after the actual work is done.
It's unfortunate but yes I do have enemies and one worse than the others.

Yes the N4 is old so I'm interested. I'm retired and available during the week to help with testing if you need me.

Gary

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:29 am

twilight wrote:
Psycho wrote:I'm guessing you did not have to patch your dll with Chris' patch because your server.ini file has InternetServer=False.
SMC runs their servers with InternetServer=true, so that's not the issue.
A friend who runs another server said he was having the "lag issue" until he switched the InternetServer value to false, then it went away. Wonder what else he did that he may have failed to mentioned.

Gary

-=SMC=-Tony

Post by -=SMC=-Tony » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:45 am

Okay Guys, sounds like I am going to finish GSAF then. (after I am finished with the priority work)

Eric,

Once the actual works are over, I will set up hit rate limiting to our outbound connections as well and try it out with the original DLL. Two days ago I put up the patched one. It works as before, apart from leaving a lot of mess in the log.

Gary,

Thanks for your offer with testing. I will get back to you guys on this subject as soon I have some free time again.

Some minor news: we are working on the next update of OpenRVS with Twi. The known serverlist issue has been resolved but still not 100%.

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:52 am

-=SMC=-Tony wrote:Okay Guys, sounds like I am going to finish GSAF then. (after I am finished with the priority work)
Hey Tony,

I'm in the AppSec field, and passionate about it in general. When the time comes, I'd be willing and able to give GSAF a run through - please let me know.

-Chris

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 am

-=SMC=-Tony wrote:Eric,

I am not using the dll patch ATM and it works great.

Chris,

Good point on the shared hosting issue and CPU/IO anomalies, although I believe that it is not the hardware performance that is causing this issue. If my suggestion counts, I would consider to investigate the following scenario:

So I can assure you that there is no extreme performance needed for reaching a remote host, it is just due to a poor program implementation technique. On the other hand, what might have happened after you patched it, that now the program flow never enters the badly written subroutine.

I have uploaded your patcher to rvsgaming.org though.

BTW, did you ever manage to compile anything with the RVS C++ SDK library. I've got that package but it has missing files. I was trying to fix it by using files form other UE2 projects but I gave up at some point. I might give it another try some other time, but it is not priority right now. If I could manage to compile that, I could rewrite the R6GameServices.dll without all the junk. Of course, only if there is no other way to fix it.

Cheers
Tony
Hey Tony,

I realized my reply did not succeed for this message - I know that I drafted one, but perhaps I shut down my pc before sending...

It is likely that all of the theories thus far have some kind of contribution to that mass lag. I can confirm that my changes do in fact bypass the entire subroutines that ubi put into that dll, and that it no longer "calls home". Thanks for getting it posted on rvsgaming!

I was able to compile individual OpenRVS items from Twi that I was testing by using RVS SDK 2. Unfortunately, decompilation is not always as possible as we'd like it to be (especially with C++ dlls!), and even when it is possible it isn't always clean enough to make determinations about where/what to patch. I used reverse engineering/debugging and disassembly to determine which conditional bytes were causing the server to enter that ugly chunk of code, then rewrote the entry bytes to bypass that code entirely.

-Chris