...:: RvS shut down date ::...

General discussion about Ravenshield.
kazibedo
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Re: ...:: RvS shut down date ::...

Post by kazibedo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:48 pm

my server 78.204.9.84:7777 Open from 13: 00 until 0:00 hour fransaice test server expect to find a host cordially

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:48 pm

pentestr7355608 wrote:
E.Estrada wrote: Hey Chris,

I actually run the OS server and haven't run your code yet, just have OpenRVS on it. It's configed properly, just had to add ServerActors=OpenRVS.OpenServer since I use N4. Is your code meant to be run on a Windows server? I have a hosted server and I can't upload executables to it. I can change the ext and transfer, but still can't change the ext back to exe after transferring. Any ideas on a workaround?
Yep, the Patcher is intended to be executed on a Windows machine. As a workaround, you could send up an already-patched R6GameService.dll file up to your hosted instance - either by obtaining one from someone else (I could provide a patched one later when I get home, 632k), or by downloading your server's dll to a Windows machine, patching it, then uploading the patched copy to the hosted server.

-Chris
Thanks for the idea of patching the DLL locally. I did it and uploaded to the server. The lag problem is now gone. I'm guessing that the console/log being spammed was causing the server to stall. Thanks for writing the patcher!
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Kewl beans

jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:09 pm

E.Estrada wrote:
Thanks for the idea of patching the DLL locally. I did it and uploaded to the server. The lag problem is now gone. I'm guessing that the console/log being spammed was causing the server to stall. Thanks for writing the patcher!
You're welcome. Thanks for pointing this out - when the message comes up it is probably using precious disk I/O during it's eval, because it also writes that output to a log file! I had not initially realized that the Patcher could also stop lag - I'll update the download post to reflect this.

-Chris

-=SMC=-Tony

Post by -=SMC=-Tony » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:07 am

Hey Guys,

Apparently I have things to catch up with here.

Eric,

Thanks for adding our servers to the front page, I also added all the servers to smclan.org.

Chris,

Thanks for the DLL patcher. I'll upload it to rvsgaming.org.

Jig,

I have no idea why there was no lag on our servers. It should be irrelevant but we use Linux + WINE.
One thing that might matter, the ports were manually open toward the dedicated server (so not automagically as Windows tend to do).

These are our Shorewall rules:

Code: Select all

ACCEPT net $FW tcp 7777:7787 s:R6_GAME_TCP:10/min
ACCEPT net $FW udp 7777:7787 s:R6_GAME_UDP:10/min
ACCEPT net $FW udp 8777:8787 s:R6_BEACON_UDP:10/min
ACCEPT net $FW udp 9777:9787 s:R6_SERVER_BEACON_UDP:10/min
Bandwidth limitations are disabled on the game servers but I will put them back once everything is final.

Regards
Tony

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:48 am

-=SMC=-Tony wrote:Hey Guys,

Eric,

Thanks for adding our servers to the front page, I also added all the servers to smclan.org.

Chris,

Jig,

I have no idea why there was no lag on our servers. It should be irrelevant but we use Linux + WINE.
One thing that might matter, the ports were manually open toward the dedicated server (so not automagically as Windows tend to do).

Bandwidth limitations are disabled on the game servers but I will put them back once everything is final.

Regards
Tony
Hey Tony,

In regards to Chris's DLL patch, did you have that already in place prior to running OpenRVS? I'm just trying to nail down the cause of the "lag." It wasn't actually lag per se, as I noticed that the N4 would show the server off/online on a fairly regular interval of 10-15 seconds (thanks Jig). I'm thinking, as is Chris, that the game server was stalling as CPU cycles were being eaten up by disk I/O. I'd also like to help in isolating this, and will offer up the OS server for testing.

Best,
Eric
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:37 am

E.Estrada wrote:
-=SMC=-Tony wrote:Hey Guys,

Eric,

Chris,

Jig,

Regards
Tony
Hey Tony,

In regards to Chris's DLL patch, did you have that already in place prior to running OpenRVS? I'm just trying to nail down the cause of the "lag." It wasn't actually lag per se, as I noticed that the N4 would show the server off/online on a fairly regular interval of 10-15 seconds (thanks Jig). I'm thinking, as is Chris, that the game server was stalling as CPU cycles were being eaten up by disk I/O. I'd also like to help in isolating this, and will offer up the OS server for testing.

Best,
Eric
Tony,

Thanks for getting this up on rvsgaming.org, and for giving us a centralized place to help spread the word.

Eric/Tony,

The folks at SSHQ confirmed that after loading both OpenRVS and the R6GameService Patcher, they didn't experience the lag anymore either. If you've still got lag going on after installing both patches, Wireshark with a UDP filter applied could help narrow down the cause (if the cause is on the RVS server itself). My group and I will likely be finalizing our RVS server's new home over this weekend and we will be able to load test it with multiple people. I'll post back about it if I see anything out of the ordinary.

-Chris

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Tony, Eric has OS working fine, thats after he ran the DLL auto-patcher.
So as far as I know, OS is A-OK.
But I dont know who the Admin of the Coop Swe 1.6 server is? Does anyone?
I believe their lag can be fixed the same way Eric fixed OS.
Granted I have not tried it lately.

But Tony I was told you run your SMC servers privately, as in not on a commercial game hosting site.. is that true?
And that may also be a reason why you had no lag? Or like Eric asked, did you ALREADY run the DLL auto-patcher?

BTW, thanks Chris for making that! Not sure if I said that already :lol:

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:48 pm

MrJigglyPuff wrote:Tony, Eric has OS working fine, thats after he ran the DLL auto-patcher.
So as far as I know, OS is A-OK.
But I dont know who the Admin of the Coop Swe 1.6 server is? Does anyone?
I believe their lag can be fixed the same way Eric fixed OS.
Granted I have not tried it lately.

But Tony I was told you run your SMC servers privately, as in not on a commercial game hosting site.. is that true?
And that may also be a reason why you had no lag? Or like Eric asked, did you ALREADY run the DLL auto-patcher?

BTW, thanks Chris for making that! Not sure if I said that already :lol:

Jig
Hey Jig,

To back up your theory, I have also seen hosted environments get tripped up by oddities such as the "try again time". Typically the hosting hardware isn't really built to handle that sort of repeated eval/processing, especially if it is shared hosting. Some companies certainly do it better than others, YMMV.

You're very welcome for the Patcher. I'm glad that it is helping to keep RVS going strong!

-Chris

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Footnote: Coop Swe is working fine
Jig
(cue the theme music!!!)