...:: RvS shut down date ::...

General discussion about Ravenshield.
Teq
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Re: ...:: RvS shut down date ::...

Post by Teq » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:36 am

Hi Chris.

I tested your patch after taking a backup.

The updated R6GameService.dll works fine and clients can join in without any "version mismatch"... Great work!

sawz

Post by sawz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:20 pm

no luck here, all i get is server not responding

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Teq wrote:Hi Chris.

I tested your patch after taking a backup.

The updated R6GameService.dll works fine and clients can join in without any "version mismatch"... Great work!
Thanks, Teq - I'm glad you find it useful. The R6GameService Patcher will automatically create a backup of the R6GameService.dll file for you before it actually writes any changes, but extra backups cannot hurt ;)

-Chris

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:34 pm

sawz wrote:no luck here, all i get is server not responding
Hey sawz,

Since the R6GameService Patcher only modifies the area of code that causes the "try again time" message to be evaluated for, your issue is likely being caused by incorrect OpenRVS configuration - you could confirm this by deleting the current R6GameService.dll, and renaming the backed-up copy from R6GameService.dll.bak to R6GameService.dll and starting your server again.

When OpenRVS has been configured properly on the server-side, some of the last few lines of your server's console will look like this after during start-up:

Code: Select all

---- OpenRVS ----
     Author: Twi
     With thanks to Tony and Psycho
     As well as SMC and SS clans
If you do not see the above lines in the last bit of your server's startup, it means that OpenRVS was not loaded into your server when it started.

In either case you should double-check, step-by-step, to ensure that you followed the directions exactly as they appear in the readme.html file included with OpenRVS. You should end up with only two "ServerActors=" lines in your server's RavenShield.mod file when all is said and done - one that you added, and an existing one that you modified. Also, the OpenRVS.u file needs to be copied into your server's system folder.

Beyond the above suggestions for the server, you could try to install a fresh copy of the dedicated server files and/or check your network/router config.

On the client side, the setup is even easier - you simply just copy the OpenRVS.u, R6ClassDefines.ini, and Server.list files into your client's system folder and launch it. The R6ClassDefines.ini changes tell your client to use the OpenRVS directives instead of the stock ones.

-Chris

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Ok..i'm NOT running the Patch on my PC and this is what i get:
OS-Connects but Lag-A-Riffic :!: :!: :!: Plays ok for 15 seconds, then lags for 10 seconds :shock:
SS Coop- CD Key error
SS Advert- CD Key error
Xan Coop- CD Key error
Xan Advert- CD Key error
SMC Tactical- Connects No Lag :!: :!: Tony you need to share with the group :!: :!: :lol:
SMC Action- Connects No Lag :!: :!: Share Share Share :!: :!: :!: :!:

Teq, cant connect - you said you only run on weekends? But i was never able to connect... too many downloads. :(
Do you have your files in a zip somewhere to download?

So do i need to install the Patch to get past the CD Key error :?: Or is it these servers do not have the patch installed on them :?:

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 pm

pentestr7355608 wrote:
sawz wrote:no luck here, all i get is server not responding
Hey sawz,

Since the R6GameService Patcher only modifies the area of code that causes the "try again time" message to be evaluated for, your issue is likely being caused by incorrect OpenRVS configuration - you could confirm this by deleting the current R6GameService.dll, and renaming the backed-up copy from R6GameService.dll.bak to R6GameService.dll and starting your server again.

When OpenRVS has been configured properly on the server-side, some of the last few lines of your server's console will look like this after during start-up:

Code: Select all

---- OpenRVS ----
     Author: Twi
     With thanks to Tony and Psycho
     As well as SMC and SS clans
If you do not see the above lines in the last bit of your server's startup, it means that OpenRVS was not loaded into your server when it started.

In either case you should double-check, step-by-step, to ensure that you followed the directions exactly as they appear in the readme.html file included with OpenRVS. You should end up with only two "ServerActors=" lines in your server's RavenShield.mod file when all is said and done - one that you added, and an existing one that you modified. Also, the OpenRVS.u file needs to be copied into your server's system folder.

Beyond the above suggestions for the server, you could try to install a fresh copy of the dedicated server files and/or check your network/router config.

On the client side, the setup is even easier - you simply just copy the OpenRVS.u, R6ClassDefines.ini, and Server.list files into your client's system folder and launch it. The R6ClassDefines.ini changes tell your client to use the OpenRVS directives instead of the stock ones.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

I actually run the OS server and haven't run your code yet, just have OpenRVS on it. It's configed properly, just had to add ServerActors=OpenRVS.OpenServer since I use N4. Is your code meant to be run on a Windows server? I have a hosted server and I can't upload executables to it. I can change the ext and transfer, but still can't change the ext back to exe after transferring. Any ideas on a workaround?
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 am

Also with working with Eric on why the OS server is lag timing... I installed the Open RvS patch per the instructions
(but i did rename my original R6ClassDefines.ini.old) and there was still the 15sec on-10sec off lag.
BUT when I tried to join any server from the Internet Servers list, the game froze.
I was still able to join via IP from both the Internet Server tab and the LAN tab.

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

sawz

Post by sawz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

i can get into OS server, lag fest there, i can get into SMC server, runs nice, everything else either no response, cd key error or it just freezes.

we're getting there!!

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:44 pm

E.Estrada wrote: Hey Chris,

I actually run the OS server and haven't run your code yet, just have OpenRVS on it. It's configed properly, just had to add ServerActors=OpenRVS.OpenServer since I use N4. Is your code meant to be run on a Windows server? I have a hosted server and I can't upload executables to it. I can change the ext and transfer, but still can't change the ext back to exe after transferring. Any ideas on a workaround?
Yep, the Patcher is intended to be executed on a Windows machine. As a workaround, you could send up an already-patched R6GameService.dll file up to your hosted instance - either by obtaining one from someone else (I could provide a patched one later when I get home, 632k), or by downloading your server's dll to a Windows machine, patching it, then uploading the patched copy to the hosted server.

-Chris

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:49 pm

MrJigglyPuff wrote:Ok..i'm NOT running the Patch on my PC and this is what i get:
OS-Connects but Lag-A-Riffic :!: :!: :!: Plays ok for 15 seconds, then lags for 10 seconds :shock:
SS Coop- CD Key error
SS Advert- CD Key error
Xan Coop- CD Key error
Xan Advert- CD Key error
SMC Tactical- Connects No Lag :!: :!: Tony you need to share with the group :!: :!: :lol:
SMC Action- Connects No Lag :!: :!: Share Share Share :!: :!: :!: :!:

Teq, cant connect - you said you only run on weekends? But i was never able to connect... too many downloads. :(
Do you have your files in a zip somewhere to download?

So do i need to install the Patch to get past the CD Key error :?: Or is it these servers do not have the patch installed on them :?:

Jig
Hey Jig,

Yes, you'd need the OpenRVS patch on your local client in order to both connect to servers(reliably) and also bypass the cd key check. Additionally, the server will also need to have the OpenRVS patch installed. Optionally, the server may also have the R6GameService Patcher installed, which suppresses the annoying/spammy "Try again time" message that appears in the console and logs.

-Chris