...:: RvS shut down date ::...

General discussion about Ravenshield.
MrsOni
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

...:: RvS shut down date ::...

Post by MrsOni » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:15 pm

So far, official shut down date for the UBI RvS online server is: ...24th Sep. 2016...

Are our gathered RvS IPs up-to-date?
You should keep a copy yourself!
You've been informed :lol:

For those who are worried,
you simply use the "LAN" option to join a server.
Might be shown as "Join by IP".
The usual UBI password will then be useless.
An eventual "server" password might be requested by some servers, check it out now.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/12 ... ces-Update

Oops, just found the thread "ubi down, server IP..." I searched for ...^.^...
Meh, my reminder, going to delete it later!

Note, this is just for me, since I'm too comfortable to send a PM to all ...^.^...
Greetings,
Oni
Freedom is endless ... "Traveller - Sarazar (feat. Circle of Alchemists)"

Psycho

Re: ...:: RvS shut down date ::...

Post by Psycho » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:27 pm

MrsOni wrote: For those who are worried,
you simply use the "LAN" option to join a server.
Might be shown as "Join by IP".
The usual UBI password will then be useless.
An eventual "server" password might be requested by some servers, check it out now.
Oni
I like your optimism but I doubt it's going to be that simple this time. Cross your fingers.

Psycho
Comfortably retired and wanting for nothing.
http://www.ShadowSquadHQ.com

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:59 am

I'm with Psycho on this one. It looks grim. No new players will be joining. There will no longer be a way to authenticate if you need to login with UBI ID for multiplayer.

So, we need to focus on a new game to keep OS* alive. I'm going to start a forum asking for new game suggestions. Just know that I am committed to keeping the TS3 server alive and well until the day I die. So, all of our online friends will always have a way to communicate. This site will never go down under my watch either. Never.
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:40 am

E.Estrada wrote:I'm with Psycho on this one. It looks grim. No new players will be joining. There will no longer be a way to authenticate if you need to login with UBI ID for multiplayer.

So, we need to focus on a new game to keep OS* alive. I'm going to start a forum asking for new game suggestions. Just know that I am committed to keeping the TS3 server alive and well until the day I die. So, all of our online friends will always have a way to communicate. This site will never go down under my watch either. Never.
I'll keep the ShadowSquadHQ site up until the day that no one uses it anymore or I die (Eric has many many more years than I) whichever comes first. I'm not sure if I felt this day was coming and that's the reason I stopped playing, intuition maybe?
For me and I think I speak for Eric, the inability to play RVS won't be as big a hit to us personally but that doesn't mean we are giving up on all our members and faithful line users.

Peace!

Psycho/Gary
Comfortably retired and wanting for nothing.
http://www.ShadowSquadHQ.com

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:44 pm

RVS shutdown means nothing to me. I was making Doom I, Hexen, and Doom II maps back when multiplayer was a luxury. I'm still working on projects. I still have my server up on the current IP. I will keep my website up too for downloading maps.

Perhaps, and this beyond my expertise, but if we join by IP or some other means, perhaps we should have a web-based advertisement of people logged in to the game like it is shown for Ventrilo/TS.

However, if anyone wants a true crossover to a RVS like game there is one real possibility and another that has been in development forever.

1. Ground Branch. (Pipe dream by people who are doing the best to make the ultimate Tactical shooter in the spirit of RVS and not CoD/ARMA.)

2. Insurgency. (This is where most of the old clans like Tac Ops and T3 now play.) It has an editor too (which I'm a total novice at though).

twilight

Post by twilight » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:28 am

I just want to plug http://rvsgaming.org/ as a central location if we ever figure out how to keep running past the UBI shutdown. Tony has set that site up to be a place where we can find server IP addresses and link to the various communities.

ricochet

Post by ricochet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 am

As always, if anyone needs help I am a .NET developer willing to put some time in to keep the game going. Hopefully your site gets a forum and a maybe can convince server owners to set up N4 to monitor current players to act as the server browser.

- ricochet

twilight

Post by twilight » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:08 pm

ricochet wrote:As always, if anyone needs help I am a .NET developer willing to put some time in to keep the game going. Hopefully your site gets a forum and a maybe can convince server owners to set up N4 to monitor current players to act as the server browser.

- ricochet
If you could take a look at R6GameService.dll and see if you can figure out a way to bypass the need for a server to register with the ubi.com master server, you would be my personal hero.

ricochet

Post by ricochet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Do you happen to know what language the core game dll's are written in? I think it's C++ but it's been so long I don't really remember. I'm sure I can decompile it, change that logic, and recompile.

- ricochet.

pentestr7355608

Post by pentestr7355608 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:20 pm

It is c++, and I am also working on trying to find the changes for R6GameService.dll using debugger. This one is proving to be tough so far!
Last edited by pentestr7355608 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.