Working elevator - Map Makers

Is there a map you want that we don't have?
SpecOps
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Working elevator - Map Makers

Post by SpecOps » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:21 am

Here is an elevator i have made activated by walking in zone near switch on walls
will be updating with sliding doors etc
heres what i have so far THANKS TO LODE

Last edited by SpecOps on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

SpecOps

Re: Working elevator

Post by SpecOps » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Ok got lift working across 5 floors with buttons its toggle operated
If anyone can improve the switch system will be greatfull but ive got as good i can get atm

MOST RECENT
Elevator5floorsandtriggers.zip
ELevator update
(75.01 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 am

Looks great! Will be nice to compare to the one in the Train_Depot map.
Decent elevator, just the rest of the map...uggh :lol:

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

SpecOps

Post by SpecOps » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 am

Heres Lift in action

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Oh that's Sexy!

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Post by E.Estrada » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 pm

That looks great!

Does anyone else remember an old Japanese clan that had a map that started out above ground and then you took an elevator way down into the ground? Am I imagining that?
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

fodder

Post by fodder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 pm

MR Puff Daddy wrote
Looks great! Will be nice to compare to the one in the Train_Depot map.
yup that map estrada was the one that inspired me to make an elevator map, think i actually made 3 but the main one i am remembering was OSjapan something or other, you start in the streets and move into the building has full basement with workout and massage blah blah blah
i think my elevators were kinda slow but they did 3 levels you can access at each level
only draw back in multi player is their prone to fail , solution is make sure its not your only access
but their still cool as hell
nice work, one day ill get a computer and have the time to play around with ravenshield, i often think about it but this comp wont even tun the editor anymore

Teq

Post by Teq » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:52 am

>> OSjapan

RLC_Office and RLC_Office_Japan. Great maps.

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Singleplayer = great idea most of the time.

Multiplayer= lots of problems with it. However, if you can fix these things go for it. I pulled my hair out trying to fix them. Much of vanilla RVS is designed to never have you simulate jumping or moving on a platform. They went out of their way even on certain inclines to make sure all surfaces are super smooth.

1. You risk spinning if you move too often on it while it is moving.
2. Two players try to bump the triggers on different sections can cause it to stall
3. If a tango or you die on top of the trigger it can stop totally on a round restart.
4. Being invisible on the elevator to other teammates.
5. You can fall through the elevator if you are too close to the doors. Has something to do with triggers not responding to collision/crush/etc.
6. Players not understanding how elevators work. I.e., telling them to "bump" the trigger and not sit on it. Maybe if you find a way to add to the mover a light or something that tells people what floor the elevator is on or if it is moving.

I tried something similar with Doom Gantlet, but it just proved too frustrating. I had the walkway descend and have a piece of the walkway outside the map appear on a switch so you could see it shift from red to green. I had an elevator with TRON, but again it was an issue of patience. Waiting at the elevator after properly "bumping" it and hoping someone else hasn't triggered it. Most people who play this game are not adroit enough to understand the concept of hidden paths/elevators/lifts, etc. Hate to say it. My old version of Doom 1 had people look for a hidden wall to walk around a broken door. Very Doom like. Well, I had to teach people to use the "G" key because most never looked a the map. Most custom maps don't come with a map or an overview; just a habit of many mappers. Even I did not make overviews for all of mine.

It's a nice feature, but like my Doom2 Entry expanded map, I kept a teleporter next to the elevator as very few ever got it to work right.

As fodder says, always leave another path to those floors. Don't make the elevator the only way down/up.

SpecOps

Post by SpecOps » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:08 pm

1. You risk spinning if you move too often on it while it is moving.
Doesnt seem to do this to me or bots spin bug maybe because movespeed is moderate and between the 13 keys movetime was critically to avoid these things as well as ignore on acroach

2. Two players try to bump the triggers on different sections can cause it to stall

all triggers activate lift rather toggle on off every switch starts the 13 key cycle regardless where it is ( with managed movespeed )
only 1 trigger on lift has correct settings to operate the lift other switches require you to leave lift and all message triggers have all trigger settings to none so they can report floor but not actually interact with lift

3. If a tango or you die on top of the trigger it can stop totally on a round restart.
removed any chance of player death by avoiding conflict near lift exits
having 1 trigger in available moving space of lift with small collision radius that can be activated but in event of pawn death static mesh collision would stop this and protect trigger

4. Being invisible on the elevator to other teammates.
i believe this is collision after effect caused by smaller lifts and when u create a lift that has walls or roof

5. You can fall through the elevator if you are too close to the doors. Has something to do with triggers not responding to collision/crush/etc.
doors are seperate mover activated by player bump or shooting them and only open in sync with lift because of the mover timings i set and have no triggers only action operated with lift shaft clearance to avoid moving collision of player on lift

6. Players not understanding how elevators work. I.e., telling them to "bump" the trigger and not sit on it. Maybe if you find a way to add to the mover a light or something that tells people what floor the elevator is on or if it is moving.
lIft activated by a switch and not player bump and can only be pressed again after 30 secs ruffly
add a trigger remove its trigger properties and set a message "floor # " and set proximity to any when approached it will display message and trigger nothing would also work in mapping for setting street names or room locations ie " library " " front room"

can downlaod my map here the floor triggers and delaytime all in lift shaft

http://www.moddb.com/members/specopsuk/ ... level-five

heres the tutorial i used when making lift from scratch
http://lodev.org/unrealed/movers/movers.html

TRIGGER MESSAGES

VIDEO DEMO MESSAGES IN TOP LEFT