Map Project: Call of Duty 4:Crash

Is there a map you want that we don't have?
MrJigglyPuff
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Re: Map Project: Call of Duty 4:Crash

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:06 pm

"Explosive Ammo" :shock:
Awsome!

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

twilight wrote:
F25_Xanatos wrote:I'm glad that unlike most RVS maps I build all sides so you can jump on top of buildings. Very cool.
Absolutely. This is one of the many reasons I've loved your mapwork, and why I hope you'll continue to make Call of Duty maps! It is a different approach to start with an open area, and then add additive geometry, but I think it results in superior maps!

Yet, the RVS engine does not truly like running open maps. All the stock maps are so optimized for only what you can see; if you cannot see it, it is taken out, left as part of the skybox, etc.

I got my habits from Unreal Tournament; they tend to build more (not all) due to jumping and getting into weird spots.

It is a different approach to map making, but no different than Source. There it is one giant subtracted universe, and you add objects. Which, by the way was profoundly difficult. Same goes for other editors like Creation Engine and Frostbite. Let's not even start with Unreal Ed 3 or 4. I am very confident with 2.0, but my skill is largely self taught over 15 years.

I could not stay on top the editors. (Unreal Ed to Ed. 1 was 3 years then to 2.0 was 1 year, then 3 years to 3.0, then UDK 5 years later and 4 years to Unreal 4).

Without taking a in depth class in the editor, I would only scratch the surface of any editor. Even 15 years later, I'm still a newb with the editor. It has so much potential despite many of its functions turned off.

I would love to see RVS somehow completely imported in Unreal Editor 4. Leave all of its quirks/uniqueness in tact, but take advantage of some the better features of modern editors.

twilight

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:56 am

F25_Xanatos wrote:Yet, the RVS engine does not truly like running open maps. All the stock maps are so optimized for only what you can see; if you cannot see it, it is taken out, left as part of the skybox.
That's why your mapping impresses me. You are very humble about your skills, yet you manage to create a complete building, area, etc, without causing too much lag on the engine, which really is an indoors engine. Do you have any tips for mapping this way? I've created some large outdoor-themed maps, but found that making them look good was terrible for the framerate.

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 am

Twi,

I only have a few ideas. One is to limit brushes as much as possible and use static meshes. Still, I run into slow fps. Certain meshes like grass cause a drop as well as lots of emitters.

Always build on snap to grid.

Zoning the crap out of a map and adding fog helps a lot.

If there are mountains, add antiportals. Beyond that, I'd say cheat and make use of the sky box like I did with Angband.

twilight

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:07 pm

F25_Xanatos wrote:One is to limit brushes as much as possible and use static meshes.
Hmm I'd never thought about this, always assumed BSP was faster. Thanks!

Also, I don't know if you've heard about 3d ripper, or how you made your static meshes for the maps, but if you have 3ds max you can use 3d ripper to rip out all the textures and models from a game. If you don't have 3ds max, but want any particular textures from CoD4, I would be happy to rip them for you. Just today I was able to get the Bog map into 3ds Max, and might convert it to Rvs.

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Ah, but where is the fun in that? I've built everything from scratch. Could not afford 3dmax. Still, that would be interesting to see imported over.

My question is, would it be all as one large imported brush? The editor likes to crash on me having an object created with too many verticies. Explains why I cannot build complicated meshes. Often if it's not a crash the objects have holes on a rebuild. But importing them from another program as static meshes would be great.

Honestly, I like sitting in the editor for hours going about it the hard way I suppose. It is fun despite taking 100 of hours.

I did a copy paste for Rankin. Added my own textures and was able to convert a few meshes.

twilight

Post by twilight » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:52 pm

F25_Xanatos wrote:Ah, but where is the fun in that? I've built everything from scratch. Could not afford 3dmax. Still, that would be interesting to see imported over.

My question is, would it be all as one large imported brush? The editor likes to crash on me having an object created with too many verticies. Explains why I cannot build complicated meshes. Often if it's not a crash the objects have holes on a rebuild. But importing them from another program as static meshes would be great.

Honestly, I like sitting in the editor for hours going about it the hard way I suppose. It is fun despite taking 100 of hours.

I did a copy paste for Rankin. Added my own textures and was able to convert a few meshes.
3d ripper rips everything as separate models, so I can be as selective as I like in what gets exported from Max. It's not one huge brush. Probably what I will do is create the terrain and buildings with interiors in UnrealEd, then do the rest using a combination of static meshes from Raven Shield and from the CoD4 map that I ripped. I also exported a very simplified version of the whole map, with the ornamentation stripped out, as a static mesh to use as a reference. I will import it to UnrealEd and use it as a reference for where everything is, but delete it from the builds.

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:36 pm

Twi,

Any chance you could get the crashed helicopter for me as either a single static mesh or as two pieces? I would appreciate it. If you're too busy, it's fine. I tried to cheat and break up the rvs plane but the editor said too many verticies as usual.

twilight

Post by twilight » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:49 pm

F25_Xanatos wrote:Any chance you could get the crashed helicopter for me as either a single static mesh or as two pieces? I would appreciate it. If you're too busy, it's fine.
Here you are. I broke it into front and rear chunks. Just a warning, even broken up this is a big mesh! Textures are in BMP format but I can't extract the alpha channel so you'll have to play around with them to get transparency if needed.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8irbl ... _crash.rar

fodder

Post by fodder » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:23 am

twilight
was chating with xantos tonight we were joking about some of the other game engines that this game would rock on, like interactive terrain

but it brought back some ideas like knifing someone, we were playing throwing knifes only with many knives was a blast, but it didn't respond the same as a stabbing knife was an idea

and of course the jump mod bad ass rocks

a "bump" ability to push someone just a little to knock em off the roof hehe, or even objects for creating secrete objectives to complete , i remember first learning how to make an interactive object explode, but then spent weeks searching for "why my objects didn't fall when the object below it blew up and went away lol.
limitations,
the active camera was something the original game engine was supposed to be able to do but the watered down version of the rvs editor wouldn't allow it, was that ever an option to program around? because that has some great ideas to go with it.

anyways, miss the hell outa mappin, had some spark of ideas come back thought i would share em