Doom2 Gantlet map

Is there a map you want that we don't have?
F25_Xanatos
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Doom2 Gantlet map

Post by F25_Xanatos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:22 pm

My next project is coming along. Mostly fighting with movers right now. Map 3 of Doom 2.

MrJigglyPuff

Re: Doom2 Gantlet map

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Oh man, the memories. I never was one to try to beat the game in the quickest time, I was the guy that looked for every hidden passage, every demon to kill, then the exit.

Thanks Xanatos for allowing me to relive those days with RvS!

Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:33 am

Same here, it is nostalgia. Oddly enough, I tried to make a Doom map many years ago for RVS with hidden paths; it was a disaster. I had people join my server and then leave or vote next instantly. They didn't like the idea of looking for hidden paths. The majority of RVS players are not interested in my pushing the limits of the editor. I've thought about making Tricks and Traps or a similar type of map for RVS, but not sure how it would be received today since Suppressive Fire is slightly in that category with its destructible walls.

I've considered a totally destructible building as a map; it would defy gravity since there are no havoc physics. But, it would be interesting to see people cut holes into walls, etc. Ironically, I had this idea in my mind for years and RVS:Siege apparently is using such an idea as its main selling point.

Getting back to Doom. It's fun to make these types of maps; the dimensions in both editors are the same (just multiply by 2 for RVS); however, in some Doom2 corridors (because your doom guy is basically crouching all the time) I had to make the area higher.

Cannot get "switches" to work yet in RVS, but I can give the illusion by making a pipe (bump trigger) that extends from a "button" to the visible lift. Other issue is falling through lifts if you do not have exactly 192 units above you, and of course being invisible on a moving lift, and last but not least spinning disease.

Another major problem is the lack of healing and only being able to survive two hits. Some doom maps have these big open arenas, RVS would have you dead before you even made a move.

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:57 pm

Gantlet is now up on my server.

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:20 am

I gotta get over there and try it out! ;)
Jig
Avast! Ye be a filthy dirty "landlovin" skallywag and I still be... Captain Bottleneck! Marauder of the highseas!
(cue the theme music!!!)

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

I cannot quite figure it out, but like Rankin, I have made a difficult map. Maybe my fps skills are lacking but then I play my older maps and finish them quickly.

Let me know how it goes. Perhaps I need to dumb down the terrorist template

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 am

There is a large difference between Difficult and Challenging.
To me Rakin is not difficult, but more challenges my skills.
Because if you chose to play it with suppressors, the map can be quite challenging, fun and completable.
But if you choose to play it Loud, then you will have a very difficult time completing it with the tangos constantly running toward the sound of gun fire.

So far Xantos, I have been very pleased with all your work! I can see where you and Fodder have similar stylings in the kind of gameplay you present with your map builds. And to a person like me that enjoys all aspects of what RvS can give, it's what keeps me playing.

Being I havent had a chance to play it yet, who knows, you may have completely screwed up with Gantlet..... hahahahahaha :lol:
But I doubt it. ;)
Jig
(cue the theme music!!!)

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 pm

It does not have doors since moving doors can get stuck in the close position if a tango triggers them and dies on that spot. Lifts can get stuck too so I made use of the teleporters as redundant paths.

I had to add blocking walls because it's one shot one kill unlike doom.

And like Rankin, this map will be a challenge on silent.

MrJigglyPuff

Post by MrJigglyPuff » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:12 pm

Awesome map! All I needed was the old Doom Theme Music!!
GantletSuccessful.JPG
GantletSuccessful.JPG (35.11 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Jig
(cue the theme music!!!)

F25_Xanatos

Post by F25_Xanatos » Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 am

I can easily add music to it. I have just a short loop of level 3 playing currently. The sound file alone is larger than the map and of course only heard if you download the map.