...:: RvS shut down date ::...

General discussion about Ravenshield.
pentestr7355608
Antispam: YES
Please enter the number with the highest value.: 8

Re: ...:: RvS shut down date ::...

Postby pentestr7355608 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:19 pm

I created an auto-patcher program for the "try again time" issue. The patcher seeks out the offending bytes in the DLL and replaces them with the proper re-written code, changing the logic so that this message will not constantly spam a dedicated server's console or log files. It is in beta/testing phase right now, and I'll post back with more info when we feel it is stable! :geek:

E.Estrada
Site Admin

Postby E.Estrada » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:08 am

twilight wrote:Connection issues should now be solved in my patch. Will keep everyone posted as I prepare for release.

You are an übermensch. Keep on keepin' on Twi. :)
"... a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful." - Yann Martel

twilight

Postby twilight » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:12 pm

I am almost at the stage where I can release my multiplayer patch as a public beta. The patch will allow playing online even after any cd key and ubi.com log-in verifications are gone. It will also fetch a current server list from a community website, rvsgaming.org, so that you don't need to memorize your favorite IP addresses. More news to come soon.

-=SMC=-Tony

Postby -=SMC=-Tony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Hey Guys,

Just letting you know Twilight is finished with the new mod. With his permission, I already put it up to rvsgaming.org

Please always make sure that you are using the latest version.

1. The serverlist in the game is basic but works. It should improve in later versions with ping and other details, but now there is only a pre-approved serverlist and manually updated. If you think your server is not on the list, please contact me or Twilight.

(In newer versions the game server will be able to log in rvsgaming.org and registers to the serverlist when the server.ini is set to InternetServer=true.)

2. The ban system is IP-based at this point, but I am already working on a permanent, more reliable solution.

3. There is no ping and played map in the serverlist yet, but that will also improve later.

Regards
Tony

-=SMC=-Tony

Postby -=SMC=-Tony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Forgot to mention: please pass the news around to other players and clans!

pentestr7355608

Postby pentestr7355608 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 pm

-=SMC=-Tony wrote:Hey Guys,

Just letting you know Twilight is finished with the new mod. With his permission, I already put it up to rvsgaming.org

Please always make sure that you are using the latest version.

1. The serverlist in the game is basic but works. It should improve in later versions with ping and other details, but now there is only a pre-approved serverlist and manually updated. If you think your server is not on the list, please contact me or Twilight.

(In newer versions the game server will be able to log in rvsgaming.org and registers to the serverlist when the server.ini is set to InternetServer=true.)

2. The ban system is IP-based at this point, but I am already working on a permanent, more reliable solution.

3. There is no ping and played map in the serverlist yet, but that will also improve later.

Regards
Tony

Hey Tony,

My DLL Patcher is also ready! Could you please post it up to rvsgaming.org as well? It fixes the "try again time" issue that spams the server logs/console :) Let me know if you can post it, and if so where I should send it to. It is only 9k zipped, 12k unzipped! (it beats packaging the entire 632k DLL..)

-Chriswak

Teq

Postby Teq » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:15 am

Hi pentestr7355608.

If your mod can stop the "Try again" issue that's really nice.

I wish you to work with Twi or wish you to share the codes with him. How about it?
It's better for server admins like me to use mods as few as possible.

It's the best for me if OpenRVS contains your codes!

pentestr7355608

Postby pentestr7355608 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 am

Teq wrote:Hi pentestr7355608.

If your mod can stop the "Try again" issue that's really nice.

I wish you to work with Twi or wish you to share the codes with him. How about it?
It's better for server admins like me to use mods as few as possible.

It's the best for me if OpenRVS contains your codes!

Hi Teq,

I have been working with Twi throughout the OpenRVS process. For the Try Again Time issue, it is not as simple as just "adding this code" to OpenRVS.u... there is no unrealscript code that fixes this, the DLL needs to be patched directly.

I have analyzed the DLL using disassembly/debugging tools and figured out a way to re-write the offending bytes so that the message is permanently suppressed. Unrealscript cannot be used to patch a DLL file.

Teq

Postby Teq » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:31 am

Thank you pentestr7355608.

Okay I understand and I'm looking forward the patch.

BTW Today I tested Athena Sword and Iron Wrath servers with OpenRVS and at least they work as Lan servers!
Especially IW has 5 more adver game modes.

If anyone add codes from ASMenuMultiPlayerWidget and MP2MenuMultiPlayerWidget to OpenMultiPlayerWidget class,
I guess we can build AS and IW internet servers.

But there are problems.

1) AS & IW are minor.

2) There are only a few maps what support AS and IW game modes.

Useless lol

pentestr7355608

Postby pentestr7355608 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:06 pm

pentestr7355608 wrote:I created an auto-patcher program for the "try again time" issue. The patcher seeks out the offending bytes in the DLL and replaces them with the proper re-written code, changing the logic so that this message will not constantly spam a dedicated server's console or log files. It is in beta/testing phase right now, and I'll post back with more info when we feel it is stable! :geek:

EDIT: Additionally, the R6GameService Patcher also reduces server lag post-ubi-shutdown - this is likely due to disk i/o required when writing the log data and/or processing required to evaluate for the "try again time" message/state in the first place.

I'll post the patch here for now, and hopefully Tony can include it on rvsgaming.org soon so that others can benefit from a cleaner console/logfile and less lag.

The server-side installation steps are simple:

Code: Select all

1. Copy the R6GameService Patcher to your RavenShield Server's system folder (where R6GameService.dll lives)
2. Run the R6GameService Patcher and follow the on-screen instructions.

The R6GameService Patcher will make a backup copy of your original R6GameService.dll, and it should be able to withstand any odd exceptions that could come up (such as file not found and/or file not writable). The R6GameService Patcher will only need to be launched/used once, since the changes it makes to R6GameService.dll will be permanent.

R6GameService_Patcher.zip
Try Again Time fix for RVS Dedicated Server
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

NOTE: This has only been tested with a 1.60 Server's dll.

For any questions or comments regarding the R6GameService Patcher, please reply directly in this thread. I will keep it updated if changes arise (I doubt ubi will change this dll any time soon, though! ;)).

Enjoy,
Chris
Last edited by pentestr7355608 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ravenshield”